Tuesday, May 6, 2014

iPhone 5S not syncing to Google contacts

I have my iPhone 5S since January (?) this year and it was working mostly fine.  But this week I discovered it won't sync my contact list from Google.  I linked my phone to my Google account for my calendar and contact list.  I love it.  Anyway... it was not syncing and that is not cool.  So I found the solution (which worked for me).  In this case, I am so thankful for the internet.



Try syncing from your iPhone Settings to Gmail Contacts using [OTHER >> CardDAV]
Do this:
  1. On your iPhone select SETTINGS
  2. Mail, Contacts, Calendars >>
  3. Add Account... >>
  4. Other >>
  5. Contacts: Add CardDAV Account
  6. Server = google.com; user name = [fullEmail]; pw = [gmailPw]; desc = [optional].
Tested 1/14/2014 on an iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.4
Here's Google's documentation: http://support.google.com/mail/answer/2753077?hl=en
[Note: iOS7 requires clicking SAVE, iOS5/6 does not]
This cuts out iTunes entirely and provides you with options for flat-file delimited export via Gmail's settings menu.

[source]